With Canadian Thanksgiving having passed, we still have the thought of pumpkin in our minds and the taste on our tongues. Hot and sweet pumpkin pie, freshly carved pumpkin jack-0-lanterns, and salty roasted pumpkin seeds. No matter what form they take, pumpkins truly are the icon of autumn. Here is a recipe for a delicious Cinnamon Swirl Pumpkin Coffee Cake taken from Flavor Mosaic.
- 1¾ cups of all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¾ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 egg
- ½ tsp vanilla
- 6 ounces pumpkin puree (about ½ a can)
- ½ cup milk
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- ¼ cup unsalted butter (1/2 a stick of butter), melted
- 1-1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon milk
1) Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
2) In a medium sized bowl, stir together the flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and pumpkin spice. If you don’t have pumpkin spice, which we did not, we used a pinch of ground ginger as a substitute.
3) In another bowl, mix together the vegetable oil, sugar, egg, vanilla, pumpkin puree and milk.
4) Add the dry mix into the wet ingredients and mix together until batter is combined.
5) Take an 8″ by 8″ cake pan and spray lightly with Pam or grease lightly with butter. Add cake batter into cake pan.
6) Melt your butter completely in a small bowl and once melted add in the cinnamon and sugar and mix until smooth. (Side note: we made this cake twice- the photos are from the first time when the butter was not melted completely before adding sugar and cinnamon and the result is a much more clumpy cinnamon sugar mix. It was much more difficult to swirl through the cake).
7) Drop small spoonfuls of the sugar/cinnamon mix onto the cake. Take a toothpick or knife and distribute the mix throughout the cake batter. We dropped spoonfuls in each corner and swirled towards the middle of the cake.
8) Bake cake for 35-30 minutes in oven until a toothpick that is inserted in the middle of the cake comes out clean.
9) After cake has cooled (about 15 minutes) mix together powdered sugar and milk until you have a smooth, runny consistency. Drizzle glaze over the top of the cake and let dry completely before serving.
10) Slice and enjoy!
Read the original recipe HERE!